Thursday, February 16, 2012

Tumblr Architecture - 15 Billion Page Views A Month

Interesting entry on the High Scalability blog describing the Tumblr architecture and how they're scaling to 15 billion pages a month.

A few points caught my eye:
  • Confirmation that MySQL scales just fine with sharding. More details on their sharding implementation here.
    With all the buzz around NoSQL I think people are underestimating good old SQL databases like MySQL or PostgreSQL for example.
  • Confirmation that Redis is just great.
  • Assigning users to Cells helps handle the combinatorial explosion of users x followers x posts.
    To draw an analogy with Ethernet networking, this reminds me of how you can segment a LAN using network switches to reduce bandwidth usage and congestion (as some of the traffic will stay within each cell / segment).

No comments:


The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent positions, strategies or opinions of my employer IBM.